Dr. Douglas Berger, M.D., Ph.D., Meguro Counseling Center Director
Douglas Berger, M.D., Ph.D., is the Director of the Tokyo Meguro Counseling Center. Not to mention a fully bilingual American board certified psychiatrist, Dr. Doug Berger is a graduate of New York Medical College where he completed a 4-year residency program in psychiatry. Dr. Berger’s Japanese qualifications include a Ph.D. from the University of Tokyo School of Medicine received for psychiatric research done while at the Tokyo University Department of Psychosomatic Medicine. He then obtained a fellowship in Psychosomatic Medicine at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. Now living in the great city of Tokyo, Douglas Berger has served on the Faculty of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine Department of Psychiatry in New York as an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and licensed practicing U.S. physician.
- Board-Certification: Dr. Doug Berger’s American Board Certification in Psychiatry (Certificate No. 34086) can be verified through the web site of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, or the web site of the American Board of Medical Specialties (you first have to register to use this service, then enter name as: Douglas Berger in the search).You can also click here to see a cached version of Dr. Berger’s Board Certification search results from the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology website, or click here to see a cached version of Dr. Berger’s Board Certification search results from the American Board of Medical Specialties website.
- Diploma & Certification Photos: Dr. Berger’s Medical School Diploma (M.D.) from New York Medical College, Psychiatry Residency Graduation Certificate from New York Medical College, Psychiatry Board-Certification from the American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology, and Doctorate (Ph.D.) for psychiatric research from the Tokyo University School of Medicine can be seen by clicking on the respective degrees in this section, and are also displayed at the Meguro Counseling Center therapy office.
Dr. Berger’s medical degree is from the United States, he is well-versed in the use of psychiatric medication and can guide the use of psychiatric medications integrated with psychotherapy through the physicians affiliated with his counseling practice (he does not directly practice medical care in Japan). Further information on Dr. Berger can be seen on his personal home page.
Publications by Dr. Douglas Berger, psychiatrist in Tokyo
Berger D: DOUBLE-BLINDING AND BIAS IN MEDICATION AND COGNITIVE-BEHAVIORAL THERAPY TRIALS FOR MAJOR DEPRESSIVE DISORDER, F1000Research 2016, 4:638 (doi: 10.12688/f1000research.6953.2). U.S. National Library of Medicine version.
Berger D: DOUBLE BLINDING REQUIREMENT FOR VALIDITY CLAIMS IN COGNITIVE-BEHAVIORAL THERAPY INTERVENTION TRIALS FOR MAJOR DEPRESSIVE DISORDER. Analysis of Hollon S, et al., Effect of cognitive therapy with antidepressant medications vs antidepressants alone on the rate of recovery in major depressive disorder: a randomized clinical trial, F1000Research 2015, 4:639 (doi: 10.12688/f1000research.6954.1). U.S. National Library of Medicine version.
Articles by Douglas Berger, M.D., Ph.D. for Tokyo Families magazine.
- My child has ADD, what special learning needs will he have?
- I have an anger management problem and don’t suffer fools well. Can you help me?
- Stressed or Eating Disorder?
- Husband wants to maintain a relationship with a love child.
- Ask the expert: Prolonged use of electronic devices
Dr. Berger came to Japan as a medical exchange student and psychiatric researcher at the Tokai University School of Medicine on a research fellowship from the Matsumae International Foundation. He later returned to Japan to do further psychiatric research at the Tokyo University Department of Psychosomatic Medicine and the Tokyo Institute of Psychiatry. Dr. Berger speaks native-level Japanese and regularly conducts psychotherapy for mixed-cultural couples as well as the local Japanese community. This page lists Dr. Berger’s research activity, and this page is an archive of community education articles for the Tokyo Families Magazine written by Dr. Berger. Dr. Berger also works extensively with children as Director of the Tokyo Child & Adolescent Counseling Service. Dr. Berger is a legal permanent resident of Japan.